Saturday, December 18, 2010

32 Weeks and Bed Rest.....

This wasn't quite the update I was hoping to make this week. I was hoping to start of by saying I've got 8 more weeks left (hopefully more like 5). It's funny how things change.


Yesterday was my 32 week appointment. I had a million questions for my doctor about delivery and the last of my appointments. I mentioned to my doctor that I was having some mild cramping, but enough to wake and keep me up for about an hour and a half the other night. I didn't think much about it because my stomach wasn't contracting and I had called a few days prior and the nurses told me to take it easy and drink lots of water (they thought I was just over doing it, since I didn't have any other symptoms). I was expecting the same answer from my doctor. She did say she could do an internal if I wanted (which I choose to do, since I figured it couldn't hurt anything). Things quickly changed at that point. She told me I had a shortened cervix and quickly started rushing around grabbing tests, and an unltrasound machine to get an accurate length. While doing all of this she was talking about sending me straight to the hospital and was mentioning a high risk doctor.


My head was spinning, I was there by myself since it was supposed to a routine appointment. I had to keep it together for an hour and a half while we were trying to figure out what was going on. They ran bloodwork ( which came back normal, no signs of infection) she did my Group B strep test and ran a few other test which I will have the results for on Monday.


So here's the run down...I have a shortened cervix, the shortest they want to see at this point is around 3.75cm and mine is about 2cm. A shortened cervix is usually caused by an infection (which I don't have), so I plan on asking many more questions about this on Monday. Having a shortened cervix puts me at a high risk for preterm labor. I received a steriod shot yesterday and will get another one today to help baby's lungs develop.


My new goal is 34 weeks. I am very much hoping to keep LO cooking for many more weeks, but 34 is the goal at the moment. That's two weeks away! Talk about a complete change in thinking. I am now on modified bedrest (bed, couch, food, very short shower) I will most likely stay on modified bedrest until Baby P's arrival. I will have weekly cervix checks at my doctor and if it gets an shorter before 34 weeks, I will most likely be sent straight to the hospital for strict bedrest with constant monitoring.


So now I'm trying to figure out how I am going to get everything ready for Baby P's arrival without being about to leave the couch. I already had a list before this happened, but now it's growing and being seperated into stores, so Ryan can doing the shopping for me. Luckily we have had our showers and we have all the big stuff we need for Baby P. It's mostly the things for me that we are lacking. That and Christmas shopping, that was on the agenda for tomorrow.
We need to have our bags packed this weekend since I could be sent to the hospital as early as Monday, so that's become a list too!


Although this isn't a happy upbeat post like the rest, I sitll have a lot to be thankful for. Baby P's heartbeat was nice and strong. He/She is in the head down position and shows no other signs of stress. I have an amazing husband who is willing to do anything to help and I have family and friends who have already offered support and prayers during this scary time.


There's no guarantee that bed rest will prevent my preterm labor, but it's the best option for Baby P and I at the moment. I have also heard many success stories of bed rest and I sure hope Baby P and I are one of them!







How far along? 32 weeks
Food cravings: Nothing this week...

Biggest Change? Being put on bedrest
Movement? Thankfully I still have lots of movement, Ryan even got to feel hiccups last night!
What I'm looking forward to: Hopefully being able to leave the house for Christmas
Baby's Milestones: Baby P is now about 17 inches long and weighing around 3.5- 4 pounds!


No comments:

Post a Comment