Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Adventures of baby food....

While pregnant I did a lot of reading and researching on making my own baby food. It sounded fun and easy, plus it has the ability to save us a lot of money and I'm all about that :)

There are also many other benefits. Making my own baby food helps me control what Brinley eats. I can buy organic fruits and veggies and I know exactly what is being put in them. Just fruit, veggies and water...nothing else!

Baby food is expensive...the tiny jars can cost around .50 a jar and the larger ones around $1! Now with coupons and sales you might find things cheaper, but if I can make it for even cheaper you've got this momma convinced it's the right thing to do.

My biggest worry was time, since I'm home with Brinley during the day I have a few hours to get stuff done, but I didn't want to be spending all day making baby food.
But making the food takes no time at all, the most time consuming part is baking the items and once they are in the oven you don't have to worry about them.

Here's a simple reciepe for Sweet Potatos (yams):

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

- Rinse and poke holes in one large sweet potato
- Wrap s. potato in foil and place in oven
- Bake for approx. 45 or until soft
- Cut open s. potato and scoop out the "meat"
- Place the "meat" and some water into a food processor
- Mix until the texture is right for your baby (adding water as needed)

That's it...you're done! Total hands on time...about 10 minutes!

Now for storage...I bought these handy storge containers on Amazon during the coupon craze, but here's the easiest storage solution. Put fruits and veggies in an ice cube try and allow them to freeze. After they are frozen place in a ziploc bag in the freezer and you haave easy to use 1 oz cubes.


Here is a picture of what I made yesterday. Sweet potatos and green beans total cost $1.75.

15 ounces of sweet potato and 18 oz of green beans...



Up next...apples and squash...





1 comment: